Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

Home-grown Potatoes


Sprouted Red Norland potato seeds
I've decided to grow my own potatoes this year for two reasons:

1.  It's easy enough.
2.  They'll taste better.

I'll be growing mine in garbage pails as the prospect of digging a trench a foot deep is not in my game plan.

The Red Norland potatoes are sprouted and can go in to the pail right now, but the Adirondack Blue and Yukon Gold show no signs of sprouting, so those will sit on my window sill for a couple of weeks until I see something happen.

Adirondack Blue on left and Yukon Gold on right
The way to grow these potatoes in your garbage can is here in video format or here in text format.

I am nowhere near my last frost date but the Red Norlands are so heavily sprouted that I will plant them now and cover the garbage can with clear plastic to let sunlight in an to create a greenhouse effect that will prevent frost from killing my crop.

The most important thing I got out of all my research was to eat NO GREEN POTATOES.  These can be toxic (who knew???) and the way to make sure you end up with no green potatoes is to be sure you have no sun directly hitting those potatoes.  So I will be mulching with straw to keep those rays at bay.  Also, do not attempt this with store-bought potatoes.  They're treated to prevent sprouting and you'll be waiting forever to see any action.

I'll post again as the season progresses, but I'm looking forward to a large bounty of fresh, home-grown potatoes.



1 comment:

  1. I love growing potatoes. When harvest time comes it is like a treasure hunt. I started growing my potatoes in plastic barrels two years ago. It works pretty well. I enjoy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...